Perhaps something sparkly was under your Christmas tree, or maybe the love of your life popped the question at your family festivities. No matter how the proposal happened, it’s time to focus on the 2 of you and your upcoming wedding!
Before you get overwhelmed, we have 5 tips for you to guide your steps and make your dream wedding into a reality.
1. Make a Dream Board with your Significant Other – brainstorm what your wedding day “Must Haves” are. Do you envision your vows being exchanged on a waterfront? Need to have the venue coated in fresh flowers? Would you want a giant party, or an intimate setting? Do you dream in vibrant colours, or dream of a black tie affair?
2. Set boundaries – once you have your top dreams shared between the 2 of you, decide what you will and will not compromise on. Are you willing to allow extra guests, more then you envisioned, if the location is precisely what you wanted? Would you accept a buffet dinner if it afforded you a larger venue? Decide what is non-negotiable for your special day.
3. Find your allies – Your biggest cheerleaders do not have to be in your bridal party, but they could be. Find someone (or a few people) who support you and your fiancée, and will speak on your behalf. When you’re favourite Aunt Karen offers to make your invitations by hand, or your Grandmother suggests you wear her dress, they can back you up on what exactly you had in mind. If that’s what you want, great! If not, rely on your allies to back you up (see #4!).
4. It’s ok to say no – Helping hands will come forward from all sorts of places. Colleagues, family members, and friends will turn up to offer you things like a free bartender, a recommendation for an officiant, or a discount on a caterer. Keep your eyes on the prize – your dream wedding! (see numbers 1 & 2) You can kindly decline the help of others, while still valuing them as a part of your circle. Be kind, and gracious. Over time, it will get easier to say no, especially when you share what you had in mind instead. Saying no to what is offered, gives room for a yes to what you really want!
5. Dream Big – Before you crunch the numbers, remember that this will be an important day in the life of you and your fiancée. You get to dream as big as you would like! Nothing is off limits, and even if you think it is beyond your budget, wait and see. There are ways to find discounts and efficiencies that you may not have thought of before (watch for a post on that topic to come!)